community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: February board report
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2011 23:12:00 GMT
Sent from my mobile device.

On 15 Feb 2011, at 20:08, Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org> wrote:

> Apologies for the lateness of this

And spoils for not submitting in the correct form. Will be more careful next time.

Ross

> (and thus there being no time for ComDev feedback). I'm currently off work sick (nothing
serious) and completely forgot as a result.

> Here's the ComDev board report for February 2010
>
> Status report for the Apache Community Development Project
>
> Project Status
> --------------
>

> The Community Development is progressing well, although a little more slowly than some
whould have hoped.

> No issues require board attention at this time.
>
> Community
>
> Google Summer of Code 2011 is in preparation stages. For the first time we have more
admin volunteers than we need - which is great.

> The EU project (OpenSE) that planned to bring students to our mentoring programme is
about to commence its second pilot run. In the first run we had a number of interested enquiries
but nobody actually started work as a mentee. On the one hand this is a dissapointment, on
the othe it is good to know that our ASF volunteers are not wasting time on the initial phases
of engaging mentees that, ultimately, bring nothing to the project. The OpenSE team believes
the main barrier is the high expectations we have of students - we make it clear that they
must be self-motivated and results oriented. This coupled with the reputaton of the ASF appears
to be intimidating potential mentees. In the next pilot the learning assitants are focussing
on the career advantages experience with ASF projects can bring and are introducing a "community
game" which will introduce students to the idea of engaging in public.

> Apache-extras.org was launched. As agreed the committee is hands off on the management
of this site. There are currently 89 projects listed.