community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GSoC 2011
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2011 14:03:26 GMT
On 23/02/2011 13:42, Pasindu Ariyarathna wrote:
> I am computer Engineering Student and I'm willing to participate
> Google summer of code competition this year. I have seen your last
> year completed projects and I am interested in that kind of projects .
> So I would like to know up to what extent of programming knowledge is
> required to successfully complete a project of your organization this
> year.

Generally speaking you need to have the skills to complete the task that
you take on. I realise that's not too helpful, but there are different
tasks, some of them quite complex. Your job, during the application
period, is to work with potential mentors to ensure you can actually
complete the task in hand.

You must understand that your mentors are not here to teach you how to
do the task. They will guide you and point you in the right direction,
but they will not tell you how to do it. What this means is that you
need sufficient skills to understand what your mentor is telling you and
sufficient self-drive to go off and figure out how to complete the task.

To put it one final way - you are not expected to be a wonder coder, but
you are expected to be able to work independently, with mentored guidance.

Ross