community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Invitation: Apply to be a Mentoring Organization for GCI
Date Sat, 23 Oct 2010 01:37:50 GMT
On 19/10/2010 12:41, Norman Maurer wrote:
> Ok I was able to have a look at the docs. The only two questions which
> came into mind so far are:
>
> * How to handle the "tasks"?
>
> I know we used labels in GSOC before, but the labels are now gone (for
> good reason ;)). So I thought about creating a jira project which we
> call GCI (or something like that) and give the mentors the rights to
> create tasks/issues there. The created tasks/issues should then linked
> back to the related task in the projects bugtracker as sub-task.

This requires people to duplicate effort in creating and tracking
issues. the labels solution worked as it could be done with a bulk
update of existing JIRA issues.

The infra team suggested we ask projects to create a new component and
put appropriate issues into that component as well as the the actual
component it applies to. I think this makes sense and is easier to
manage than a separate project in JIRA.

However, remember that some projects don't use JIRA. For those projects
we asked them to add GSOC details to the Comdev JIRA in the "mentor"
component.

Ross