community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reviewing the evaluation process
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2010 22:58:27 GMT
On 02/09/2010 17:53, Rahul Akolkar wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Kathey Marsden
> <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net>  wrote:
>> On 9/2/2010 9:21 AM, Rahul Akolkar wrote:
>>
>> Original Ideas are good
>>
>> =======================
>>
>> Past experience has shown that if a student proposes their own idea and it
>> is accepted the student is going to be strong.
>>
>> PROPOSAL
>> --------
>>
>> Add the following to the mentor ranking:
>>
>> Is the project definition and idea originally the mentee's, the
>> mentor's or a collaborative effort? (0-2 points, 2 if mentee's idea, 1
>> if collaborative, 0 if mentor's)
>>
>> I am still not such a big fan of the "original idea" points in a standards
>> base product
> <snip/>
>
> OK, the idea is same as before (my comment on standards elsewhere in
> the thread):
>
>    http://markmail.org/message/j6qkbipevrnphe6v
>

>> and marking down for collaboration where we want to encourage
>> interaction with the community.
>>
> <snap/>
>
> Yes, I can see how the wording can be perceived that way so it does
> need tweaking.

I'm with Kathey on this one. I think we need a wording that emphases the
students contributions to the idea as a whole. That is whether the idea
comes from the community or the student is not relevant, what is
relevant is whether the student shows originality in expanding the idea
into a complete proposal.

I'm sure you can come up with some suitable wording.

Ross