community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Consensus process
Date Tue, 21 Sep 2010 07:52:28 GMT
Excellent, thank you.

Sent from my mobile device.

On 20 Sep 2010, at 23:02, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:

> https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=15ru0kwhqAbT8QAVC5Bs0KMeT06ZP5RNnIIbEbeDVQjo&hl=en
>
> Lazy consensus lazily added.
>
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ross,
>>
>> I completely spaced that out. I'm quite familiar with it. I'll add it.
>> This is exactly why I wanted to get a review.
>>
>> --benson
>>

>> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org> wrote:
>>> This is a fine post and I have no objections to it being published as is. However,
in the projects I work on the concept of Lazy Consensus is critical. That is, for the majority
of actions permission need not be sought since most actions can be reversed. Thus non objection
means consensus.

>>> This is particularly powerful since it requires people to be active if they want
to have a say in the project. That is, people can't just turn up at discussion phase and throw
a spanner in the works (as happens in so many committee run endeavours).

>>> Of course this relies on people knowing when they should ask for input on proposed
changes. For me this is why merit is critical. For me merit indicates someone has learned
when to ask permission as opposed to when to ask for forgiveness.

>>> If your experience in projects is different from mine with respect to lazy consensus,
or if you prefer not to add this detail, I'll follow up with a post along the above lines.