community-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [proposal] integrating womAn@a.o into an Apache code of practice
Date Thu, 19 Aug 2010 17:25:55 GMT
  On 8/19/2010 1:00 AM, Anjana G Bhattacharjee wrote:
> ARCHIVAL NOTE ONLY as at 28 days since inception of this proposal -
My vote on this proposal if brought to vote would be
-1
Because
- Golf and the other aspects of the proposal have  nothing to do with
software.
- The structure is ungoverned  and falls totally outside of the Apache
pmc structure and seems to involve some sort of monarch (the Prime Mover).
-  it is involves money unnecessarily, which is never a good idea.
- it is extremely complex, which is also never a good idea.
- I thought it was some sort of joke that I didn't understand and I
guess I was mistaken. Although I am not very smart, I think others might
also find it difficult to understand how  a Prime Mover, golf and a WTF
fund have any relevance to the Apache Software Foundation.

The valid point to the proposal is that sometimes a less public address
is needed for  reporting problems, especially misconduct.   I think we
can accommodate such complaints in the existing private lists. e.g.
   Problem with a specific project, you can send to
private@<project>.a.o, problem with a PMC or PMC  member, you can send
to private@community.a.o, problem with a community PMC member or board
member, talk to a board member you trust.  There is also legal-internal
if you think some law was broken.  Documenting such an escalation
procedure, I think is a good idea and  should be plenty to satisfy this
concern.

Back to fixing bugs for me....  I invite you again to join that effort.
After contributing to the foundation for a while and seeing how it works
[1], you can obtain sufficient merit to have an influence.  I think
after you do, you will realize this proposal is not appropriate for the ASF.

Kathey

[1] http://apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html