community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Consensus process
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 22:00:51 GMT
On 16/08/2010 22:37, Benson Margulies wrote:
> Recent discussions on various lists have led me to think about 'Consensus
> Process' as an area of possible effort for comdev. People are not born
> knowing how to operate a consensus process, and some discussions suggest to
> me that the communities might benefit from something written down as a aid
> memoire or training device.

+1

> I'm sure that I could find some references on this subject, but I'm more
> inclined to type up a somewhat personal introduction to consensus process
> and see if anyone thinks that it's worth further work and eventual
> publication.

Starting with a personal blog post on the topic would be great.

You may want to look at the content at
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/meritocraticGovernanceModel.xml -
in particular section 2.4

This document discusses the mechanics of consensus and decision making
in a meritocratic project. However, it does not discuss the social aspects.

It's always been my intention to bring that content here, but I've not
found the time yet. It's currently CC-BY-SA, but I'm happy to make it
available under an Apache Licence if it would compliment your work in
any way.

Ross