community-dev mailing list archives

From Noirin Shirley <noi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Alternate UI for mailing lists?
Date Tue, 27 Jul 2010 15:01:13 GMT
I think this probably makes more sense on the Community Development list?

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 7:44 AM, Greg Brown <gkbrown@mac.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> (hope this question is appropriate for the board list - if not, please let me know where
it should go)

> Mailing lists seem to be the primary means of communication at the ASF. However, I feel
that the barrier to entry is slightly higher than it should be for users to participate. For
one, explicit subscription is required. I know this isn't terribly difficult, but it isn't
as easy as simply posting a message using a web-based UI, for example. There's also the problem
of corporate firewalls, which often prevent users who have subscribed using personal email
accounts from interacting with the lists during the day.

> Has any thought been given to providing a standard web-based UI for interacting with
the mailing lists? I know some projects use Nabble, but (AFAIK) it isn't an "official" ASF
solution, and it isn't ideal, either - it can be slow, and locating list archives is difficult.
For example, a search for "apache pivot user" does not produce a link to the User list, and
attempting to browse the lists is equally ineffective.

> I think we should strive to make it as easy as possible for new users to join in. Is
this something that has been discussed before? If so, what was the outcome? If not, might
it be worth considering?