community-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] [VOTE] roll women@a.o into dev@community.a.o
Date Fri, 30 Jul 2010 17:47:12 GMT
Anjana G Bhattacharjee wrote:

<snip/>
> Have just come across a curious parallel to this, perhaps, in the arena of
> Golf tournament sponsorship - IBM sponsored "the Masters" (i.e. men's only)
> tournament in April this year with a flurry of justification [1] whilst this
> weekend's "Women's British Open" was left to its own devices, albeit rather
> carefully done imho [2]
>
> The equivalent explanation wanting here, therefore, is why IBM would sponsor
> the Masters whilst missing the "gender balancing" [3] opportunity to sponsor
> both for possibly marginal marginal cost afaik given the relevant
> technologies would already have been tried and tested by then?
>
> More generally, what does "sponsorship" mean for a corporate like IBM in
> this case - and what could it mean a next time around? Specifically, a next
> time around with regards open community development? For example, could HP
> be our Ricoh?

I doubt there's anyone subscribed to these apache lists who can speak on
behalf of IBM -- or any other company, for that matter. I did a quick
search at www.ibm.com and a better option might be for you to check the
resources at http://www.ibm.com/diversity. There might be somebody you
can contact with your questions/concerns.

Please stop cross-posting to women@.  Once somebody on the
infrastructure team frees up time to take care of
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-2883 ,  posts to women@ will
instead.  It would be confusing for a conversation on women@ to stop
midway, so best to keep the conversations moving forward entirely on
dev@community.

That much said, I left women@ on this reply deliberately as a reminder
to women@ subscribers that it will stop accepting posts sometime soon --
we don't know exactly when. So please subscribe to dev@community.