community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject An ASF newsletter
Date Fri, 23 Jul 2010 12:47:08 GMT
During a recent discussion on ComDev I found myself returning to the old
newsletter idea. Now that blogs are used increasingly in the ASF I think
we might be able to publish one without significant additional human effort.

Something like:

- projects maintain a blog with whatever content they want

- for important items (releases, new committers etc.) they add a
"newsletter" tag (I assume that this means roller will be able to
provide a constantly updating newsletter feed, but not sure about that)

- periodically the "newsletter" items are pulled from the the blog and
an email sent out to appropriate lists with snippets from each item

The goal is to provide an overview of the foundation for people who
don't want to subscribe to (and wade through) all the RSS feeds across
the foundation.

I'm aware there is no editorial control here, we are trusting projects
to only tag important stuff. We may want to only allow one or two
entries per project in each publication to ensure that we get the most
important item in there.

So, are press@ OK with ComDev proceeding with this? Any modifications to
the plan needed?

Ross