community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Boosting participation and community in Apache Labs?
Date Fri, 23 Jul 2010 12:31:18 GMT
On 23/07/2010 12:45, Dave wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 4:21 AM, Ross Gardler<rgardler@apache.org>  wrote:
>> Right. I keep forgetting blog posts. It's possible to create newsletters from
>> them too (something like add a tag to include it in the newsletter).
>>
>> Now if only there were someone lurking on the comdev list looking for a way
>> to contribute to the ASF, some kind of RSS to newsletter thing would be
>> great (a manual process would do to start with), I'd mentor that.
>
> Hey, that's me!

Welcome David.

> I've written a bunch of utilities like the one you describe. It's
> pretty easy to implement a Roller scheduled task that fires
> periodically, reads the most recent X entries in a tag, forms an email
> and sends it out. Are those really the complete requirements.

Pretty much, yes. I think it would be better to be teaser content rather
than the complete content (there are RSS feeds for that). The idea is to
provide a cross foundation summary of activities without requiring
people to sift through all the project specific stuff.

So, for example, a blog about a new release is applicable, a blog about
a new feature is (probably) not.

If this gets adopted by the various communities then we can think about
doing something more grand.

> What blogs would be included in the newsletter? You could create and
> designate one blog to be the Labs blog or look for the Labs tag across
> all blogs.

I'm thinking that projects should be encouraged to release their news
items through their own blog. Let me run the idea past press@ and see
what they think. Assuming press@ are OK with it I'll post a mail to the
appropriate lists and see if there is sufficient buy-in (i.e. we would
get enough content to make it worth the effort).

Watch this space.

Ross

--
rgardler@apache.org