community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] [VOTE] roll women@a.o into dev@community.a.o
Date Sun, 18 Jul 2010 22:53:01 GMT
Before addressing your suggestion I first wish to correct a few errors
in your post.

The creation of ComDev was not made at the barcamp session you refer to.
It was created prior to that meeting as a result of discussion through
the normal ASF mailing lists and a subsequent Board Resolution.

The decision to roll women@ into ComDev was not "agreed" (as you put it)
at the barcamp session either. It was a suggestion from the board when
the ComDev resolution was passed.

On Oct 28th 2009 I made the women@ list aware of the opportunity to
revitalize the women@ objectives through comdev [1]. Specifically I said
"The women@a.o list has not really gone anywhere, but maybe this is
another chance to look at the lack of female representation here at the
ASF." This resulted in a few of the original women@ participants joining
the comdev list where rolling women@ into comdev has been discussed on a
few occasions.

The actual decision to roll women@ into comdev is the subject of a vote
currently underway on comdev and this list was notified of the vote [2]
to ensure full transparency.

OK, so that's the history of how we got here. No to look at your concerns.

You argue that a better solution would be to leave women@ open merely
suggesting that comdev may be an appropriate alternative. I would
counter that this only serves to split any effort that might emerge.
Long history here at the ASF has shown that splitting communities along
artificial lines results in weaker communities.

However, given that our communities do not have adequate representation
from women perhaps this is an exceptional case. Please forgive me while
I ask a few basic questions.

Why would someone post to women@ but not to comdev? That is, what does
women@ provide that comdev does not (or vice-versa)?

Why haven't these people been posting to women@?

If we do bring women@ into comdev what can comdev do to address these
problems?

How can comdev attract sufficiently motivated and time rich volunteers
to make this happen?

Forgive me for asking these questions. They are genuine questions, I am
concerned that I'm missing an important point here.

Ross

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-women/200910.mbox/browser

[2] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-women/201007.mbox/browser