community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] [VOTE] roll women@a.o into dev@community.a.o
Date Fri, 16 Jul 2010 16:04:28 GMT
Anjana,

Thanks for your comments.

A little history is probably relevant here. Woman@ was set up on Aug 7
2005, during that time it has had very little activity with the most
recent email being Sept 14th 2007.

The fact is that people are not looking for a list called "women@".
Nevertheless the reasons that the list was originally created are still
valid.

The community development project was created last year. In our original
resolution we had not proposed taking the women@ "activity". Instead we
are focussing on making it easier for people in general rather than on
the issues facing a specific group. The board requested that we take
ownership of the women@ work too. Since women@ has always been "just a
list" it has had no official role in the foundation. Bringing the
activity into ComDev provides a vehicle through which more action can be
taken if there are people willing and able to undertake such action.

Rolling the women@ list into the dev@community.a.o list need not be a
permanent solution. If there is sufficient momentum behind the women@
objectives then we could, at some point in the future, create
women@community.apache.org - however, at this point in time there is no
need for such a list as demonstrated by the lack of activity on the
existing women@ list [2].

Today, if you search for "women" on the apache website the first hit is
the women section of the wiki [1]. By bringing women@ list (and
objectives) under the ComDev banner we are potentially providing a much
more "official" and "recognisable" home for women@ activities.

It is my hope that we can take advantage of the fact that the Community
Development team consists of approximately 50% men and women.

Ross

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/Women/
[2]
http://markmail.org/search/women+list:org.apache.women+order:date-backward