community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Bringing mentors on board
Date Fri, 16 Jul 2010 11:24:50 GMT
I'm starting to ramp up on the mentoring programme ready for a
(potential) influx of students in September.

We need to get potential mentors to indicate their issues on their
projects issue trackers. One thing I want to make clear to both mentors
and mentees is that we are not asking people to teach here, only guide.

I've added the following to the intro of the mentoring page [1] (will
not sync for a short while, so you might want [2])

"The mentoring programme is not here to teach you to write documentation
or code. It is here to help you understand how to make a valuable
contribution to an Apache project. You can expect to be guided through
our contribution processes. You can also expect to get technical support
with respect to your chosen project. You cannot expect your mentor to be
a "teacher", they will provide enough information for you to progress
within the project. You need to bring the confidence to take their
guidance and discover the detail for yourself."

I've also added the following to the "who can be a mentee" section:

"You do not need to be a self starter, your mentor will not take
responsibility for "managing" your work here. Everyone who contributes
to an Apache project does so on a voluntary basis, there are no managers
here - only helpful peers."

Please feel free to make any clarifications you can.

Ross

[1] http://community.apache.org/mentoringprogramme.html
[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEVxSITE/MentoringProgramme