community-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Repeat: roll women@a.o into dev@community.a.o
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2010 21:41:19 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> On 1 Jul 2010, at 16:19, "Jean T. Anderson" <jta@bristowhill.com> wrote:
>
>> Ping -- is there energy to roll women@ into dev@community?
>>

> It depends on what kind of energy you are looking for. If you are looking for someone
to restart the women@ issues and those issues are about being open and welcoming to all then
yes, I believe there is energy here. For women specific issues I certainly think this is the
right place, but there is currently no energy devoted to this.

I have infrastructure in mind, though, of course, the ultimate objective
is to do exactly what you say. It would help it to rewind back to the
thread in January [1] to which Bertrand responded:

> When this PMC was created, the board requested it [1] to "take over
> the stewardship of the community@ and women@ mailing lists", so I
> think we can just go ahead, vote here to fold women@ into this list
> and do it.
>
> -Bertrand
>
> [1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2009/board_minutes_2009_11_01.txt

I want to make it clear on the women@ list that activity is moving to
this community list, which welcomes their participation, in keeping with
what you wrote here:

> What I personally have energy for is ensuring that women who are active here in the ASF
are appropriately visible. I have been told by numerous different women in IT groups that
simply demonstrating there are already women surviving in our predominantly male world we
will increase the comfort levels for newcomers, both male and female. You will therefore find
plenty of energy from me in, for example, engaging women in the mentor programme.

> Let's make the most of our unusually balanced mix of men and women here.

I'd also like to see the wiki shut down. I removed spam from
http://wiki.apache.org/Women/  this morning, and submitted a request to
infra@ to make that wiki readonly.

regards,

 -jean