community-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <n...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The Community Development project needs you to go to the pub!
Date Sat, 12 Jun 2010 14:51:25 GMT
On Sat, 5 Jun 2010, Nick Kew wrote:
> On 3 Jun 2010, at 11:57, Nick Burch wrote:
>> As part of this, we've set up a new program - the Local Mentors
>> Program[2], which aims to help people new to open source have a quick
>> chat with someone more experienced who happens to live near them.
>
> It has a strange idea of "local".  I try where I lived for most of the
> 90s, and everyone it finds is over 500km away as the crow flies!
> Better to admit there is noone local.

I've made some tweaks to the algorithm, so for example when you search in
Sydney, it gives you Brett but doesn't bother with anyone in mainland
asia. For those places where we really don't have anyone, it shows you the
nearest people and suggests you visit them when on holiday / conference /
etc.

> Also it's rather unhelpful just asking for a place name with no hints
> about what kind of place name it might know about.

The help should be a little better now. Geonames is pretty good, but
there's always the odd place it doesn't know about...

Nick