community-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What are the basic, invariant rules of Apache projects?
Date Fri, 21 May 2010 14:40:14 GMT
On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> ...You missed the most important rule: Apache releases must use the Apache
> license....

d'oh...was I right in asking for collaborative review ;-)

> ...One other aspect I think is important: neutrality.  The ASF is a place where
> individuals come to collaborate freely and equally.  Corporations may fund
> individuals to contribute to ASF projects, but PMCs must ensure that the
> project is managed for the benefit of the community as a whole, and not for
> any one corporation....

Very good point - I would put neutrality in the "core values"
category. Many of our rules and best practices aim to establish
neutrality.

> ...- When Bertrand is talking about a blog post, I believe he means posting on
> the Foundation blog, which *is* an official voice of the ASF - a subset of
> members have write privileges there.  I believe it would also be useful if
> other comdev folks wrote personal blog posts about their own perspectives on
> these Ways - to get the personal take and what it means for people always
> helps explain what and why it is.
>
>  http://blogs.apache.org/foundation/...

We discussed a while ago having our own comdev blog, that might be
more appropriate for this post. I'm not worried about having a regular
presence there, the fact that all blogs are aggregated under
http://blogs.apache.org/ makes for a nice regular feed even if some
blogs are mot active than others.

Thanks everybody for the feedback so far, I'll review all comments
again later and come up with a revised text.

-Bertrand