community-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Help regarding mentoring program
Date Wed, 05 May 2010 18:41:05 GMT
On 5/5/2010 11:21 AM, Keshan Sodimana | කේෂාන් සෝදිමාන wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am Keshan Sodimana an undergraduate from University of Colombo school of
> computing, Sri Lanka. i am a big FOSS enthusiast and i have been working on
> several open source projects but i am a newbie to Apache Software
> Foundation. though i have use it products i haven't been able to contribute
> to ASF. once i found this mentoring program i was inspired by it so, i
> decided to get some advise and help to find a project for me to contribute.
>
> i am interested in Java, basically it is my mother tongue in computing. i am
> a SCJP, SCMAD and have a lot of experience in Java EE as well. i am also
> very familiar with Flex, Ruby on Rails as well as mobile technologies like
> Java ME, Android and i am a full time Linux user so have a good knowledge
> about linux as well but i am not that much familiar and interested in C/C++.
> so, i think if someone propose me a good project for me to work on it will
> be a great help.

Welcome Keshan to Apache. I wonder if you have any background or have
done coursework in database. If so and even if not, you would be most
welcome in the Derby community http://db.apache.org/derby/. I wonder
with regard to mentoring are you interested in completing a project
directly related to your coursework and how formal of a relationship you
are looking for. Is there a professor at your University that would be
involved or would you be the only one interacting with the community and
mentor. Also what kind of time commitment are you interested in
investing in the next three months. For Derby, usually I suggest new
developers start with fixing bugs and our seemingly endless task of
converting our tests to JUnit. That project can be easily tailored to
skill levels and time commitments.

Thanks

Kathey