community-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Reviewing the evaluation process
Date Sat, 24 Apr 2010 19:19:18 GMT
This is exactly the observation I have from the Mahout students.  I would
rather not have a project re-invent something that we already have, but I am
thrilled to have a student who is self-directed and horrified at the thought
of having a student who needs to be micro-managed.  Even if the
self-directed student starts in the right direction, they are enormously
more likely to wind up somewhere useful for the community.  Conversely, the
micro-managee might start with the best initial idea (mine, of course)  but
they will almost certainly wind up nowhere.

Academic-style originality is  a nearly orthogonal concept.