community-dev mailing list archives

From Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New Admin ranking feature in GSoC webapp
Date Sun, 11 Apr 2010 23:15:31 GMT
On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 3:31 AM, Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org> wrote:
> I just discovered a new feature in the Google Webapp this year:
>
> --- From GSoC Manual ---
>
> Organization Admins Only - Assigning an Application a Rank
> An organization administrator also has the ability to manipulate the rank of
> a particular proposal to ensure that it is accepted, regardless of a
> previous score or ranking. In other words, an organization may receive 2
> slots and decide it was to accept application "Foo" and application "Bar."
> The organization administrator may visit the applications for "Foo" and
> "Bar" and manually assign them a rank of "1" and "2", meaning these two
> applications will then be the topped 2 ranked applications. The top N ranked
> applications, where N is the number of student slots Google allocates to
> each organization, will be those that are accepted into the program.
>
> This feature is meant to make it easier for organizations to make the final
> choice about which proposals will be accepted after duplicate accepted
> students are resolved, etc.
>
> ---
> http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2009/userguide#depth_appassignrank
> ---
>

> This may be useful in the final stages of re-evaluation to break deadlocks,
> but I'm not sure how to use it (see
> http://community.apache.org/mentee-ranking-process.html).
>
> In past years we have had to make multiple edits to add/remove sufficient
> scores to get the right ordering around the cluster point. Eachyear I've
> asked for admins to have the ability to add/remove more than 4 points at a
> time. I guess this is instead of that feaure. Unfortunately I don't think it
> will work for our process where we have anywhere between 20 and 50 slots to
> fill.

<snip/>

That seems right. IMO, the process of affecting rank by admins
manipulating the scores is more transparent (presumably there is an
accompanying short comment any time an admin adds/removes points). May
be possible to use the rank assignment feature by having a spreadsheet
of sorts elsewhere where the admins do their ranking and just keying
in the ranks, but then that spreadsheet / document needs to be shared
with mentors (to achieve similar transparency) and scoring information
gets distributed as well which may make things harder to follow.

-Rahul