community-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reviewing the evaluation process
Date Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:01:24 GMT
Two cents on a slightly different, but related subject.  I interviewed 3 different people this
year and as part of that laid out my basic "mentoring" philosophy and each seemed a bit surprised
by it at first (but they quickly get why), but to me it is a reflection of the Apache Way.

More or less, here's what I tell them:
1. I won't answer any development questions privately.  I am not your "development" mentor.
 All of those types of questions must be on list.  In most cases, the student probably knows
more about the algorithm they are implementing than I do.
2. The stuff I will answer privately has to do with you and only you and is more mentoring
in terms of: status checking, vacation, life issues, recommendations for jobs, etc.

At any rate, just thought I would share and also see how other people approach this and if
they've had similar responses/thoughts.

Cheers,
Grant