community-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Reviewing the evaluation process
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2010 17:13:48 GMT
On 4/22/2010 9:26 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> On Apr 22, 2010, at 12:14 PM, Ted Dunning wrote:
>

>> On the other hand, this has been the single criterion that has defined
>> successful students in Mahout (which is definitely less standards driven).
>>
>> In Derby and similar projects, I think that this can be interpreted
>> differently, but it still is a useful ranking indicator.  Within the set of
>> Derby applicants, this would be very useful.  Perhaps there should be a
>> countervailing feature that allows Derby to be marked as "project that is
>> very hard for students to be entirely original in their proposal (+1)" would
>> allow a global comparison to be reasonably valid.  Or perhaps gating by
>> number of mentors first so the ranking is mostly within the project would
>> solve that.
>>
>> Either way, it is a very valuable feature for us.

I can see that this is an important project specific factor.  I imagine
each project could identify such a factor that could be given from (0-2)
points. Perhaps for Derby it might be experience or course work in
database or something else.  My concern is that factors more specific to
weighted some projects go into the global ranking.  A finer grained
analysis would be great where each project had whatever project specific
factor they choose get a 0-2 ranking but that might  be hard to manage
and communicate.

Thanks

Kathey