community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: London graduate events
Date Thu, 22 Apr 2010 10:19:27 GMT
Mark,

I agree with your comments.

With respect to:

 > If these events are to be successful, then I think we need to work on
 > continuity.  We are thinking about getting students back, if we run the
 > event again with some of the same projects, so that past students may
 > learn more and also help new students.  It will be interesting to see if
 > we can make this work.

I had a meeting with a couple of the organisers the day before the event
and made this very point. Whilst it's easy to get committers to turn up
once to these kinds of events they will only come again and again if
there is a really good reason to do so. That reason will be more
contributors to the project.

Speaking personally I enjoyed the day, but I missed a Saturday with my
family as a result and I doubt I will see any long term benefit personally.

We do need to continuity, I hope this is where the mentors programme
comes in. It's interesting that we have had one of the students from
this day turn up asking for mentorship. Lets see if it comes to fruition.

Ross