community-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <se...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Request to create autoresponder for PRC mailing list
Date Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:54:19 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> This is news to me, as discussion of an autoresponder has
>> been going on for at least 3 months. Oh well.
>
> So another week or so isn't going to make much difference.
>
>> I'm not sure if I'm
>> understanding this correctly: there's nothing we can do?
>> Is that the situation?
>
> The situation is that we have a solution for autoresponders
> in the form of a script Ken Coar wrote many years ago.  As
> the topic rarely comes up, nobody currently doing infra is
> all that familiar with Ken's script on an operational basis.
>
> So somebody has to look over how the script works for other
> situations and pass it appropriate arguments for it to work
> for yours.  It won't take that person much to do typing-wise
> once they figure out how it all works, but as we don't consider
> this a time-bound request we haven't prioritized it as such.

Joe, from my perspective I think a week is perfectly ok and appreciated.

I was concerned when I saw Tony's response because it sounded more "if"
than "when" it would get done.  That might not have been the intention,
but it is how it reads to me.

Would it be helpful to create a JIRA ticket for this request?  I think
our post-PRC team is more concerned with tracking the request than a
specific timeline.

--
Serge Knystautas
Vice President for Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation