community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject [proposal]
Date Tue, 09 Feb 2010 08:19:15 GMT
How are we to collect mentor projects for GSoC?

In the past we have used a wiki page and had the mentors add their
projects to that page. This has worked well and is close to zero
overhead on our the admins part. However,  it requires a duplication of
effort for the mentors and is not useful beyond the GSoC period.

What I would like to do is make the information we collect at this stage
of GSoC useful for our ongoing mentoring work that we intend to kick off
after GSoC.

I therefore propose that we ask projects to record tasks in their issue
tracker with a label of "Mentored". We can then pull this information
into the community.a.o site via the JIRA search widgets (I think, I need
to verify this - if not we can always point at a filter on JIRA).

Unfortunately GSoC is only about code so some projects that we can
provide mentors for are not suitable for GSoC (i.e. documentation)
therefore I also propose to use the label "GSoC" for mentored projects
available to GSoC students.

After GSoC this list of projects with mentors available will still be
useful to both the ComDev project and the development project.

Some projects already use labels to indicate tasks suitable for
newcomers, i would rather than adopt multiple labels that will require
us to aggregate various searches.

We've mentioned this before and were in initial agreement. I'm therefore
going to go with lazy consensus on this to allow us to get on with
preparing for GSoC. I'll conduct the necessary experiments whilst I wait
for objections.

Ross