community-dev mailing list archives

From Luciano Resende <luckbr1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Gearing up for GSoC 2010
Date Wed, 06 Jan 2010 06:25:42 GMT
On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org> wrote:
> Any thoughts on the below (29 Dec is a bad time to send such thoughts I
> know)
>
> On 29/12/2009 15:59, Ross Gardler wrote:
>>
>> We probably ought to think about getting ready to manage GSoC from
>> within the comdev project this coming year.
>>
>> In the main I think we should follow the process defined over the last 5
>> years. Therefore, the first thing we need to do is bring the notes from
>> the wiki into our CWiki space (and hence our website).
>>
>> The second thing we need to do is agree any modifications to the
>> process. Here are my starters:
>>
>> - allow admins to apply negative marks in evaluation (this is to help
>> them spread the applicants across a reasonable spread of scores and also
>> to "correct" mentor evaluations.

As far as I remember, this is indeed the only thing that need to be
adjusted on the process compared to last year.

>> - require all potential mentors to add theirprojects to their normal
>> project JIRA, mark them with a comdev predefined tag (or whatever JIRA
>> provides for us) and link to them from their FOAF file (exactly how can
>> be worked out if we agree on this). This will allow the webapp Nick has
>> started to generate a list of projects and will also mean that possible
>> projects/mentors are ready for easy reuse outside GSoC.

This is something that need more discussion. For GSoC, we would need
something that would list all ASF wide project ideas, separated by
project, that could be linked from the ASF page from melange.

>> I don't think it is a good idea to go messing with the GSoC process too
>> much, but if there are other things like this we can do that will make
>> it easier to roll out the full mentoring programme after GSoC is
>> underway I think it's a good idea - so suggestions welcome.

+1, but I think we should have started this discussion at code-awards,
as I don't believe we have much people/mentors subscribed to this list
yet.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende