community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code 2010 is On......
Date Fri, 29 Jan 2010 08:59:11 GMT
On 29/01/2010 08:30, Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 11:55 PM, Ross Gardler<rgardler@apache.org>  wrote:
>> GSoC is go...
>>
>> First order of business, can we please have volunteers for admin and
>> co-admin.
>>
>> I am happy to be a co-admin, but I am not sure how much time I will be
>> putting in, either alot, or very little (I have a new baby due at the start
>> of March, so who knows how things will work out).
>
> Hey - congrats! Although you are making me chicken out in
> volunteering, as my daughter is expected in May so it might even
> worse. Can you delve a bit more in what being an admin entails?

Congrats right back at you.

There are a few main pockets of activity:

- ramp up (applying to the program, internal publicity, collecting
documentation, answering mentor questions) - about 2 weeks of activity

- evaluation of proposals (the process is well defined now, takes about
4 weeks of 4-8 hours per week, with a couple of frantic IRC sessions at
the end of the period)

- mid term reviews - ensuring all mentors have reviews in (not too hard
now as the new webapp sends out mails, just a couple of hours a week for
two weeks)

- full term reviews - as for mid terms

- wrap up (ensuring the ASF bill for it, possibly attending the mentor
summit in Mountain View, thanking people etc.) just a few hours + the
optional summit

Ongoing there is the occasional issue with a mentor or student to deal
with. In a bad year this can be a few hours a week, in a good year a few
hours over the whole GSoC period.

This year the community development project will be ensuring the world
knows what we are doing, the admins will need to provide info for that.

We will be looking for a couple of co-admins as well so that not
everything falls to the admin. So a complete newbie like yourself (with
a baby on the way) may be better being a co-admin in your first year.
However, we welcome you as an admin if you want to take it on.

Ross