community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Introduction to the community
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2010 08:55:20 GMT
On 14/01/2010 18:33, Guillermo Castro wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I saw the article posted on Dzone and I thought I should join to see what it
> was about. Although the article seems to imply that the Apache community is
> mostly geared towards students, I think there are other opportunities here.

The article does give that impression, largely as it focusses on GSoC.
This is to be our primary focus intially as we have been running GSoC
since 2005 and so it is working pretty well for us.

However, we are not focussing on students exclusively, in fact our first
mentee is not a student. We're still working on exactly how a mentoring
programme will work with non-students, obviously demands and motivations
are different there.

> A little bit about myself. I have been a Java developer for over 13 years,
> and in that time I have used some of the Apache projects. I've been
> seriously considering getting my hands dirty on actually improving, fixing,
> etc. on some of them (give something back to the community), but some of
> them evolve so fast that I don't even know where to begin. When I read about
> the community, I thought it might be a good idea to have someone help me
> focus on a specific couple of tasks.

Excellent. If you are prepared to work with us as we iron out the bumps
we'll do our best to help you.

> Right now I'm working heavily with Camel, Servicemix, etc for a client.

Being at such an early stage we have not yet gone out to all projects to
get a list of potential mentors. At present I don't think we have a
mentor on those projects. So we'll need to see if there is anyone available.

For more general assistance, this list is the place to be.

The first thing to do is to have a look over our mentoring programme
documentation:

http://community.apache.org/mentoringprogramme.html

It really helps us find a mentor if you can identify a some specific
areas that are important to you. Looking over the issues in JIRA for
your projects is a good idea. Are there any that are potentially
relevant to your paid day job activities?

Once you have had a look around please complete and outline application
(see http://community.apache.org/mentorprogrammeapplication.html) and
we'll try and find you a mentor.

Ross