community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: "Nearby People" (Local Mentors & Local Speakers) web app
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2010 11:53:32 GMT
On 07/01/2010 11:20, Nick Burch wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>> Note the CWiki site is auto published, so as soon as there is a link
>> to it from
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEVxSITE/Index it will
>> be available on the public site.
>
> I thought it was, so I decided not to link to it just yet :)
>
>> But unless I missed something this is not how it works. We have the
>> two mentor doap files in [1] that are used to indicate speakers and
>> mentors. We should really move those files to the committers repo.
>
> Ah, yes. I originally did my foaf file like that, then you suggested a
> better way, which I coded then forgot...

Right. I'm now wondering if it really is a better way though...

> I wonder if we should move the doap files to the committers repo though.
> Could we not simply just grant all committers rw permissions on the
> subprojects directory?

My proposal to move the files to the committers repo was because it
makes it easier for people to add themselves (no need to check out
another set of files). The easier it is the more likely people are to
add themselves.

However, now I think about it more I wonder if requiring people to edit
2-3 files is more of a barrier than we need.

I'm now thinking your original approach might be better (sorry).

Anyway, it works as is right now, we can tweak as we go forward.

Ross