community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Need a mentor to guide me contribute to hadoop
Date Wed, 06 Jan 2010 20:17:58 GMT
On 06/01/2010 18:28, Kathey Marsden wrote:
> Ravi wrote:
>> Hi Ross,
>> I have been using Hadoop for 6 months. I have a Hadoop cluster on 4
>> nodes.
>> Till now I concentrated mainly on developing new map-reduce algorithms. I
>> have been reading the Hadoop code also. Since I have used Hadoop for
>> implementing my algos, I feel that I should contribute back to Hadoop

> I have someone else looking for a mentor on Geronimo. I think he found
> help there, but noone who wanted to get involved in the formal mentoring
> program, so he is keeping it informal. I am not sure the general feeling
> about it in the Hadoop community.

Kathey is correct, it doesn't do you any harm to mention your desire on
the Hadoop list. In the meantime, I'm working on finding a mentor for
you. The more visible you are within the community the more likely
someone will be willing to step forward.

This is especially true since you have been using Hadoop for a while.
Showing that you have an understanding of how to build and deploy a
small cluster shows that you are don't need really basic hand holding,
but instead are looking for guidance in the way things are done around here.

Ross