community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Gearing up for GSoC 2010
Date Wed, 06 Jan 2010 08:01:07 GMT
On 06/01/2010 06:25, Luciano Resende wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Ross Gardler<rgardler@apache.org>  wrote:

>>> - require all potential mentors to add theirprojects to their normal
>>> project JIRA, mark them with a comdev predefined tag (or whatever JIRA
>>> provides for us) and link to them from their FOAF file (exactly how can
>>> be worked out if we agree on this). This will allow the webapp Nick has
>>> started to generate a list of projects and will also mean that possible
>>> projects/mentors are ready for easy reuse outside GSoC.
>>>

> This is something that need more discussion. For GSoC, we would need
> something that would list all ASF wide project ideas, separated by
> project, that could be linked from the ASF page from melange.

I believe JIRA can do that with a saved filter. We can embed that in the
comdev web site using a JIRA portlet. We should then encourage each
project to have a similar portlet on their own site, both for GSoC and
subsequent tasks.

I guess we should experiment with that first. Since Hadoop already has a
tag for newbie level issues I guess I could try it out (it may help Ravi
find some suitable projects to get started on too).

There is a flaw in this plan though, some projects don't use JIRA.

>>> I don't think it is a good idea to go messing with the GSoC process too
>>> much, but if there are other things like this we can do that will make
>>> it easier to roll out the full mentoring programme after GSoC is
>>> underway I think it's a good idea - so suggestions welcome.
>>>

> +1, but I think we should have started this discussion at code-awards,
> as I don't believe we have much people/mentors subscribed to this list
> yet.

The reason I started it here is because code-awards@ is an internal list
and I was looking for suggestions relevant to the broader mentoring
operations. Isobel has already drawn attention to this thread over on
code-awards@.

Ross