community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Gearing up for GSoC 2010
Date Tue, 29 Dec 2009 15:59:29 GMT
We probably ought to think about getting ready to manage GSoC from
within the comdev project this coming year.

In the main I think we should follow the process defined over the last 5
years. Therefore, the first thing we need to do is bring the notes from
the wiki into our CWiki space (and hence our website).

The second thing we need to do is agree any modifications to the
process. Here are my starters:

- allow admins to apply negative marks in evaluation (this is to help
them spread the applicants across a reasonable spread of scores and also
to "correct" mentor evaluations.

- require all potential mentors to add theirprojects to their normal
project JIRA, mark them with a comdev predefined tag (or whatever JIRA
provides for us) and link to them from their FOAF file (exactly how can
be worked out if we agree on this). This will allow the webapp Nick has
started to generate a list of projects and will also mean that possible
projects/mentors are ready for easy reuse outside GSoC.

I don't think it is a good idea to go messing with the GSoC process too
much, but if there are other things like this we can do that will make
it easier to roll out the full mentoring programme after GSoC is
underway I think it's a good idea - so suggestions welcome.

Ross