community-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Tagging issues in projects
Date Fri, 04 Dec 2009 15:06:45 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> I propose that we should be working with projects to encourage them to
> "tag" issues in JIRA that are suitable for various types of
> introductory activities. So, for example, we might have:
>
> - mentor (indicating that this is a fairly major task for which a
> mentor is available)
> - entry (indicating that this is the kind of thing someone with
> reasonable development skills can tackle whilst learning about the
> project)
> - non-tech (indicating that this is ideal for someone without fully
> developed IT skills)

Derby currently has a field for "Newcomer" which is a term I think we
snagged from another project, but I don't remember which one.   It is
listed as a checkbox under Issue and fix info.  I think Newcomer combine
non-tech and entry though.    I think that is ok as usually that aspect
is clear as you drill down in the issue.  I think it is ok to combine
the two.  For "mentor" I think it would be good to make it "mentor
available" which is a bit longer but clarifies that it is not an issue
looking for a mentor, but rather an issue  looking for a mentee.