commons-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: [DBCP] troubleshooting pool activity (tomcat version)
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2018 19:15:46 GMT
On 3/21/2018 1:31 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> and that we need to
>> change the factory on our pool definitions.
> I believe not.

Tomcat's documentation seems to disagree with this point. It
specifically says to use org.apache.tomcat.jdbc.pool.DataSourceFactory,
and doesn't list any other valid choices.  But we have
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory in our
configuration.  I've found questions from people whose Tomcat
installations didn't even contain that class, where the answers said to
switch to the factory in the documentation.  Apparently deb-based
packages of Tomcat do not contain the latter class.

I found a historical document for 7.0.42 with Google and it also shows
that the factory should be set to the DataSourceFactory, not the
BasicDataSourceFactory that we have.

I do see "removeAbandoned" in the property constants in the 7.0 source
code for BasicDataSourceFactory.  I had thought that it wasn't there,
but I realized that I was looking at trunk code when I came to that
conclusion, and that BasicDataSourceFactory is in a dbcp2 package in
trunk.  So I'm not sure what to think, but I can say that the abandoned
connection handling does not appear to actually be working.  So either
my configuration is wrong, or the factory that we are using is ignoring
part of the config.

Thanks,
Shawn

p.s. I sent an earlier draft of this message, but did so from the wrong
email address.  If the moderators decide to allow that message through,
then you may see an almost-duplicate of this message.