commons-user mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [POOL] EvictionTimer daemon thread
Date Wed, 31 Jan 2018 08:49:20 GMT
On 31/01/18 08:15, Bruno P. Kinoshita wrote:
> Not sure if it was intentional.
>
> But here's the reason: https://github.com/apache/commons-pool/commit/4a20cdca923bd342360f821d7020538e985d9ec2#diff-38e254894b87bdf9a1758778c7ffd50fL167
>
> Instead of a `new Timer("", /* isDaemon */ true)`, now we have an implementation of `ThreadFactory`
that when it creates new `Thread`s, it doesn't set the `setDaemon(true)`. So it just creates
a thread with default behaviour of daemon set to false.

> As the previous behaviour was to have the threads as daemon, and there doesn't seem to
have any arguments for dropping it, we could raise a new issue, with a patch, and ping Mark
to see what he thinks?

There is a typo in the commit message. The issue is POOL-315. It looks
like I had finger trouble that day. I've spotted another typo in the
changelog which I have now fixed.

I don't recall any discussion of whether or not the threads should be
daemon threads.

Starting with a clean slate, I'd turn this around. What is the argument
that the threads should be daemon threads?

If the pool is correctly shutdown it should not matter as the evictor
thread will be stopped at shutdown.

The only reason I can see for changing back to using a daemon thread is
that it used to be a daemon thread and that allowed pools to be used
without shutting them down cleanly.

Overall, I guess I am neutral on changing it.

Mark