commons-user mailing list archives

From Russell Bolles <rbol...@netflix.com.INVALID>
Subject RandomStringUtils and RandomStringGenerator
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2017 21:49:38 GMT
Good afternoon,

I recently happened to pick up commons-lang:3.6 and noticed that
RandomStringUtils was deprecated in favor of
commons-text:RandomStringGenerator.

I work on a moderately sized Java service and a quick find usages in
IntelliJ shows that I have 452 usages of RandomStringUtils, mostly in my
tests.

Was there any discussion of moving the RandomStringUtils class to
commons-text and preserving the API as it stands now? What benefits do we
get when throwing out the RandomStringUtils class altogether in favor a of
a fluent builder (i.e. RandomStringGenerator).

I can't emphasize enough how useful it is to be able to create a random
string via a static method especially when writing unit tests.

Thank you for your time.

--
Russell Bolles