commons-user mailing list archives

From "Thomas Brand" <...@trellis.ch>
Subject Re: Commons CLI - possible faulty build
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2016 14:27:12 GMT

Hi Benedikt,

thanks for taking a look at it!

On Thu, August 18, 2016 12:19, Benedikt Ritter wrote:

>>> I noticed that using the binary package (commons-cli-1.3.1.jar) from
>>>

>>> http://www.pirbot.com/mirrors/apache//commons/cli/binaries/commons-cl
>>> i-1.3.1-bin.tar.gz doesn't work. The program compiles but prints the
>>> following error:
>>>
>>> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
>>> org.apache.commons.cli.Options.hasShortOption(Ljava/lang/String;)Z at
>>>
>>> org.apache.commons.cli.DefaultParser.handleShortAndLongOption(Default
>>> Parser.java:490)
>>>

>>> The jar is in the classpath, it's NOT a classpath issue.
>>> Building from source using, all works as expected.
>>> You might want to review the binary release.
>>>

>> Although you're sure that your classpath is correct, the error message
>> indicates a problem with the classpath. I've setup a minimal sample
>> project calling the hasShortOption(String) method and it works [1]. Are
>> your sure you're really pulling in the right version of Commons CLI? If
>> so, can you provide a sample project for us to investigate?

I can't reproduce now using the jar form the above link and a test program
(!). This is really strange since i was almost 100% it wasn't a classpath
issue but reality proves me wrong. Next time i should save the artifacts
for better reproduction. I apologize for the false alarm.

>>> A minor issue i found with the method Option.getArgs().
>>> It's said that
>>> "Returns the number of argument values this Option can take."
>>> However, if an option doesn't take any value, the return of this
>>> method is -1 which seems wrong. Does this sound right?
>
> A value of -1 indicates the number of arguments has not been specified.
> There is a constant in Option for this (UNINITIALIZED). I've added this
> information to the JavaDoc in revision 1756753 [1].

This is an important bit of information (especially for the ones not
looking inside the code), thanks for pointing it out.

Best regards
Thomas