commons-user mailing list archives

From Erwin Hogeweg <erwin.hoge...@me.com>
Subject Can't get MySQL non-jta connection pool with Aries-2.4.0 and EL-2.6.2 working - Looking for (more) example(s).
Date Sun, 24 Jul 2016 20:50:42 GMT
Hi,

Not sure if this is a question for these lists or for the EL list but I figure I start here.
Feel free to redirect when you feel it doesn’t belong here.

I am trying to get a non-jta connection pool (internal connection pool) working with EL 2.6.2,
Aries 2.4.0 (incl. EL adapter), dbcp2-2.1 and mySQL, but I must be missing something because
I just can’t get it to work properly. Everything works just fine w/o a connection pool,
so this is definitely the source of the misery.

Been struggling with this for a while now, and I am running out of ideas. I think I could
use some sample code to point me in the right direction that doesn't use Blueprint? I found
some of Christian’s examples, but I don’t think they are using connection pools.

Below a short summary of what I run into.

When I am using the ‘original’ MysqlDataSource...

    private DataSource createMySQLDataSource( Dictionary<String, String> dbConnProps
) {
        MysqlDataSource ds = new MysqlDataSource();
        ds.setUrl( dbConnProps.get( "jdbc_url" ) );
        ds.setUser( dbConnProps.get( "jdbc_user" ) );
        ds.setPassword( dbConnProps.get( "jdbc_password" ) );
        return ds;
    }

… everything kinda works normally. The DataSource, PersistenceProvider and EntityManagerFactory
are all created and registered correctly;

g! services javax.sql.DataSource
{javax.sql.DataSource}={eclipselink.target-database=MySQL, osgi.jndi.service.name=jdbc/mynonjta,
service.id=139, service.bundleid=104, service.scope=singleton}
  "Registered by bundle:" com.my.project.persistence.mysqldatasource_4.0.0.SNAPSHOT [104]

g! services javax.persistence.EntityManagerFactory
{javax.persistence.EntityManagerFactory}={osgi.unit.version=4.0.0.SNAPSHOT, osgi.unit.name=my.pu,
osgi.unit.provider=org.eclipse.persistence.jpa.PersistenceProvider, service.id=142, service.bundleid=98,
service.scope=singleton}
  "Registered by bundle:" com.my.project.model_4.0.0.SNAPSHOT [98]

The performance is horrible though as I don’t really seem to get a connection pool. The
connection is closed after every query. On top of that I loose all network connections every
few seconds with a:

	com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure

Which has me puzzled for a while now.

So my next attempt was to use the org.apache.commons.dbcp2.BasicDataSource:

   private DataSource createMySQLDataSource(  Dictionary<String, String> dbConnProps
) {

    	BasicDataSource basicDataSource = new BasicDataSource();
        basicDataSource.setDriverClassName("com.mysql.jdbc.Driver");
        return basicDataSource;
    }

This fails because the following exception:

[EL Severe]: 2016-07-24 14:41:55.872--java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Not supported
by BasicDataSource
	at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.java:1552)

Which is this method:

    @Override
    public Connection getConnection(String user, String pass) throws SQLException {
        // This method isn't supported by the PoolingDataSource returned by
        // the createDataSource
        throw new UnsupportedOperationException("Not supported by BasicDataSource");
    }

So I figured I create a version with a PoolingDataSource  (following the PoolingDataSourceExample
in svn):

        ConnectionFactory connectionFactory = new DriverManagerConnectionFactory(dbConnProps.get(
"jdbc_url" ), "user", "password");
        PoolableConnectionFactory poolableConnectionFactory = new PoolableConnectionFactory(connectionFactory,
null);
    	ObjectPool<PoolableConnection> connectionPool = new GenericObjectPool<>(poolableConnectionFactory);
    	poolableConnectionFactory.setPool(connectionPool);
        PoolingDataSource<PoolableConnection> dataSource = new PoolingDataSource<>(connectionPool);
        return dataSource;

But that still gives me an exception:

[EL Severe]: 2016-07-24 16:40:30.392--java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException
	at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.PoolingDataSource.getConnection(PoolingDataSource.java:156)

So I am kinda lost now.

This is the relevant stuff from the persistence.xml file:

	<non-jta-data-source>osgi:service/javax.sql.DataSource/(osgi.jndi.service.name=jdbc/mynonjta)</non-jta-data-source>

	<property name="javax.persistence.jdbc.driver" value="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver" />
	<property name="javax.persistence.jdbc.url" value="jdbc:mysql://my_db_server:3306/myschema"
/>
	<property name="javax.persistence.jdbc.user" value="user" />
	<property name="javax.persistence.jdbc.password" value="password" />

	<!-- Configure connection pool. -->
	<property name="eclipselink.connection-pool.default.initial" value="10" />
	<property name="eclipselink.connection-pool.default.min" value="16" />
	<property name="eclipselink.connection-pool.default.max" value="50" />

Although I only see one DataSource registered it somehow feels like there is some more stuff
going on behind the (EL?) scenes that I don’t have a handle on yet.

BTW... I have also created an org.apache.aries.jpa.my.pu.cfg configuration file, but when
I leave the DB properties out of the persistence.xml I get bunch of ClassNotFound exceptions,
so that is suspicious.

BTW2… the examples link at the bottom of this page is broken: https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-dbcp/
<https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-dbcp/>

Regards,