commons-user mailing list archives

From "Mailing User" <mailingl...@mail.com>
Subject Re: [NET] No disconnected event? Should poll periodically?
Date Fri, 13 May 2016 19:28:37 GMT
The FTP server had closed the connection due to idling. I expected isAvailable() would return
false in that case, but it returned true. So, my program continued and called listFiles().
It threw an FTPConnectionClosedException or a broken PIPE socket exception.

Sending a NOOP before each command would be inefficient. If I see a famous FTP client like
FileZilla, I can see that it immediately recognises server disconnection and displays the
disconnection message (such as 421 Connection timed out).

I understand that Apache Commons FTP is only for basic protocol, but since many users would
want that feature (immediate recognition for server disconnection), I wish there was a code
snippet for that. I am going to experiment it on my own by extending the FTPClient class.