commons-user mailing list archives

From Victor Rodriguez <vrodr...@digitalglobe.com>
Subject Re: [net] FTPClient retrieveFile doesn't finish
Date Wed, 18 May 2016 15:40:31 GMT
Thanks Nick!  Setting a timeout is completely reasonable.  If X% of file transfers of files
of size X have taken time T, it's reasonable to be able to set a timeout of time 2T, for example.
 In other words, if this transfer is taking twice as long as X% of similarly sized transfers,
there must be something wrong.  Let's try this again.

I have a system that transfers hundreds or thousands of files per day.  Thankfully, I haven't
yet gotten into a situation where all of my threads are stuck at the retrieveFile call at
the same time, but if that does happen, the production line would stop.

BTW, it's not that retrieveFile doesn't finish.  After I wrote that original email, it turns
out that it did eventually finish, but after like 24 hours stuck on a single file.  Then,
my application continued it's remaining file transfers for that job and they all went swimmingly.

I would say that adding the ability to timeout should be very high on the list of future enhancements
for the Apache Commons Net FTP API.

Thanks!

Victor

This electronic communication and any attachments may contain confidential and proprietary
information of DigitalGlobe, Inc. If you are not the intended recipient, or an agent or employee
responsible for delivering this communication to the intended recipient, or if you have received
this communication in error, please do not print, copy, retransmit, disseminate or otherwise
use the information. Please indicate to the sender that you have received this communication
in error, and delete the copy you received.

DigitalGlobe reserves the right to monitor any electronic communication sent or received by
its employees, agents or representatives.