commons-user mailing list archives

From "Ahmad, Zeba" <zeba.ah...@ebay.com>
Subject [configuration] Monitoring configs
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2016 07:45:37 GMT
Hi,

I'm looking at providing a platform for users to monitor their configurations either via JMX
or some other means. Some ways I can think of doing this

1)      Let users register their chosen configurations as MBeans. Here's<https://github.com/Netflix/archaius/blob/master/archaius-core/src/main/java/com/netflix/config/jmx/ConfigJMXManager.java>
a similar approach by Netflix. Here however, platform cannot mandate all configurations to
get surfaced for monitoring.

2)      Read all config files present for the given application in config directory, use Apache
Modeler or some other to dynamically generate bean descriptors and JMX MBeans for monitoring.
But here I'm duplicating the reading of the configs and the memory structures.

3)      Have instrumentation within apache-commons-config  for such monitoring by JMX or any
other means.

Reg. #3, is there any recommendation on how users can efficiently monitor/view/modify their
configurations dynamically (without delivering an updated file)?

Regards,
Zeba