commons-user mailing list archives

From Siegfried Göschl <siegfried.goes...@it20one.com>
Subject Re: Help needed: commons-exec CLOSE_WAIT problem
Date Mon, 25 Jan 2016 22:28:14 GMT
Hi Chris,

there could be couple of reasons for this behaviour - is there a minimal setup to reproduce
the problem?

Thanks in advance

Siegfried Goeschl

----- Urspr√ľngliche Mail -----
Von: "Chris Gamache" <cgamache@gmail.com>
An: user@commons.apache.org
Gesendet: Montag, 25. Januar 2016 22:34:34
Betreff: Help needed: commons-exec CLOSE_WAIT problem

Hi commons-exec folks,

Hoping you can help me figure this out. Selenium Java uses commons-exec 1.3
under the hood to communicate with phantomjs. When it fires up it opens up
a pipe that you can see with lsof:

# lsof -p 19947

 java    19947 user   64     PIPE 0xd2cd00ccca85f9d     16384
->0xd2cd00ca9fbbf9d
 java    19947 user   66     PIPE 0xd2cd00ca31d445d     16384
->0xd2cd00ca31d4c9d

Then we get this in lsof as selenium is driving phantomjs:

 java    19947 user   62u    IPv6 0xd2cd00cc904879d       0t0      TCP
localhost:49757->localhost:23795 (ESTABLISHED)

Then after selenium closes and terminates the executor-- properly, as I
observed by stepping through the code as it executes, but maybe someone
knows otherwise-- we can see in lsof:

 java    19947 user  62u    IPv6 0xd2cd00cc904879d       0t0      TCP
localhost:49757->localhost:23795 (CLOSE_WAIT)

And each successive web driver instance that gets created cause those to
build up and build up and build up until you run out of file handles.

... So are there any considerations for using commons-exec that the
selenium folks might not be addressing during process destruction which
might manifest themselves in these file handles just hanging out, taking up
space? This can't be the correct/uncorrectable behavior.

I happen to be using Selenium Java 2.49.1 which is the latest version as of
this moment, and Java 8. It seems like this has been broken for quite some
time though -- https://github.com/SeleniumHQ/selenium/issues/1080

Please advise! Thanks!

CG