commons-user mailing list archives

From Norbert Kiesel <nkie...@MetricStream.com>
Subject Re: [configuration] 1.10 regression / backwards-incompatible change in MapConfiguration.convertPropertiesToMap ?
Date Sun, 10 Jan 2016 19:42:51 GMT
Any chance we will see a 1.11?

At least 1.10 release notes should be updated to note this, no? Right now it claims to be
100 backwards compatible.

On Jan 10, 2016 11:34 AM, Oliver Heger <oliver.heger@oliver-heger.de> wrote:
Hi,

Am 07.01.2016 um 20:33 schrieb Norbert Kiesel:
> Hi,
>

> we just tried to upgrade from commons-configuration-1.9 to commons-configuration-1.10
and hit a blocking problem.  It manifests itself as:

> java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException
>         at java.util.AbstractMap.put(AbstractMap.java:209)
>         at org.apache.commons.configuration.MapConfiguration.addPropertyDirect(MapConfiguration.java:186)
>         at org.apache.commons.configuration.AbstractConfiguration.addPropertyValues(AbstractConfiguration.java:423)
>         at org.apache.commons.configuration.AbstractConfiguration.addProperty(AbstractConfiguration.java:393)
>         at org.apache.commons.configuration.AbstractConfiguration.setProperty(AbstractConfiguration.java:486)
>

> Looks like this happens because the map was created using the `MapConfiguration(Properties
props)` constructor.  In 1.9, this creates a HashMap and fills it with the properties.  In
1.10, this now uses an AbstractMap that only overrides `entrySet` which makes this a read-only
map.

> Our code then tries to add more properties, which produces the above exception.
>

> Are we doing something wrong here or is this really a regression in 1.10?

This seems to be a regression in 1.10, unfortunately. According to SVN
history, the code in MapConfiguration has been patched to fix
CONFIGURATION-556 [1]. The fact that the MapConfiguration can no longer
be updated is probably an undesired side effect.

I assume that this will work again with version 2.0. In this version,
MapConfiguration just stores the Properties object passed to the
constructor. So updates are not a problem.

Oliver

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CONFIGURATION-556

> </nk>
>
> ---
>

> Norbert Kiesel
> Systems Architect | Engineering
> MetricStream
> 2600 E. Bayshore Road | Palo Alto, CA - 94303
> +1-650-620-2954 | nkiesel@metricstream.com | www.metricstream.com<http://www.metricstream.com>
>
> Confidentiality Notice:This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential
and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. This
message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If
you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake
and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified
that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of
this information is strictly prohibited