commons-user mailing list archives

From Roger Membreno <roger.membr...@celigo.com>
Subject [vfs] New Properties for FtpFileSystemConfigBuilder
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2015 21:26:35 GMT
Hello Apache Community, how are you doing?

We use Commons VFS in our FTP connection projects, and for a recent project
we only able to connect to our FTP site when using Passive mode.  If we
used Active mode we could login to the FTP site but all files in the
directory did not exist and could not be accessed.

Since our server is behind a firewall with NAT translation we determined
that the data connection could not be established even if we opened up some
ports on the firewall.  We were able to connect to the FTP site using a
stanadalone FTPClient by setting the following properties to match our NAT
security settings:
setReportActiveExternalIPAddress()
client.setActivePortRange()

With these properties set the PORT command issued by our client to the FTP
site will create a valid data connection.  What I'd like to do is submit a
change via GitHub that does the following:
1. Add "reportActiveExternalIPAddress" and "activePortRange" properties to
the class org.apache.commons.vfs2.provider.ftp.FtpFileSystemConfigBuilder
2. Ehance createConnection in
org.apache.commons.vfs2.provider.ftp.FtpClientFactory to read these new
FtpFileSystemConfigBuilder properties from the config instance and set them
on the FTPClient.

Let me know if you have any questions.  If you think this is a good change
I'll make a new issue in JIRA for this enhancement.  I also think that
these changes could help resolve VFS-201 (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VFS-201)

--
-Thanks,
Roger

*Roger Membreno *| Senior Software Engineer
Celigo, Inc

O 650.579.0210 x101
F 650.240.0143
E roger.membreno@celigo.com