commons-user mailing list archives

From Thom Brown <thomas.braunsber...@gmail.com>
Subject [math] Usage of Marquardt Optimizer for an Equation
Date Mon, 07 Sep 2015 10:07:36 GMT
I've read both guides (
http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-math/userguide/optimization.html
and
http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-math/userguide/leastsquares.html)
regarding optimization yet I'm still unsure about how to apply those
examples to my case.

What I want to do is to optimize the parameters alpha, beta and gamma in
these three equations:
http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/pmc/section4/pmc435.htm

I'm afraid I lack the mathematical understanding to come up with an
appropriate function. I well understand the Quadratic Problem example,
however, I'm kind of overwhelmed when trying to do this for my problem (as
my equation has three parts). Do I need to derive the different parameters
as it was done in the example? Is there a way to do that without
calculating derivatives?

I'd appreciate some help towards this task as I'm not making any process at
the moment. I hope this is the right place to put the question.

Thanks!

Thom