commons-user mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <>
Subject Re: [dbcp] new user questions
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2015 17:26:11 GMT

> On Sep 3, 2015, at 9:22 AM, Pruitt, Byron S <> wrote:
> I am new to the DBCP framework and I have some newbie questions.
> I have the PoolingDataSourceExample working with my driver and I get connections from
my DataSource.
> What I am unclear on is how I return a connection back to the pool.
> After I have finished with executing a statement and finished with the ResultSet or having
issued a commit if that is needed, then what?
> Do I do nothing with the connection?  How is the connection returned to pool, so it can
be reused?

Just call close() on the connection.  That will cause the physical connection to be returned
to the pool.
> Also, it looks like the way to configure the pool for the number of connections, etc.
is via GenericObjectPoolConfig passed to the GenericObjectPool instance.
Correct.  If you don't want to separately create and configure the object pool, have a look
at BasicDatasource, which exposes the pool configure parameters directly.

> Thanks ahead for any answers.
> Steve Pruitt

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: