commons-user mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <...@spaceroots.org>
Subject Re: [math] noob; performance metrics?
Date Tue, 23 Jun 2015 20:50:01 GMT
Hi Mike,

Le 23/06/2015 21:17, mike shugar a écrit :
> To amplify and extend the question - would also like to know the same
> info where bigdecimal is involved.

I really don't know. We don't reall use BigDecimal in Apache Commons
Math. We rather used Dfp when we need high accuracy. Dfp does provide
all floting points operations, including trigonometric, logarithmic
or hyperbolic functions whereas BigDecimal only provides the classical
arithmetic operations. Dfp is devoted to really high accuracy (say you
want to compute an hyperbolic cosine to 200 digits), and is expected
to be slow.

I am not aware of any benchmarks relative to Dfp (of course it would
depend on the number of digits you would use) with respecto to
primitive double numbers. If you want to do some benchmarks, we would
be happy to see the results.

best regards,
Luc