commons-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Nozik <alta...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] Fitting a distribution from sample data Was: please help me
Date Sun, 14 Jun 2015 15:11:16 GMT
What do you mean by "guess distribution". One thing is if you need to
fit parameters of dome known distribution (for example position and
width of Gaussian) - in this case as far as I can understand you need to
use classes from org.apache.commons.math3.optim package and subpackages
(there are many good tools but they are not very easy to use for
beginner). If you don't have an idea what distribution shape you seek,
you need to use non-parametric statistical tools. Some could be found in
org.apache.commons.math3.stat package.

If you need to perform one-time analysis rather than write your own
program and use it on regular basis, than consider using some symbol
algebra system or specialized library.

With best regards, Alexander Nozik.