commons-user mailing list archives

From luc <...@spaceroots.org>
Subject Re: [Math] Allow empty "ConvexHull2D"
Date Mon, 01 Jun 2015 13:03:47 GMT
Le 2015-06-01 14:38, Gilles a écrit :
> Hi.

Hi Gilles,

> I have a question regarding
>
> public Region<Euclidean2D> createRegion() throws
> InsufficientDataException
>
> in ConvexHull2D.
> It throws the exception when the number of points is < 3.
>
> One can imagine that rather than aborting it could return an "empty
> Region"
> (which would seamlessly work with further operations on the Region).
>
> What do you think?
>
> Context: in the course of a program, a "valid" region can undergo
> successive
> transformation until it is indeed impossible to compute the hull; it
> seems
> that it would be interesting to not treat that as a hard-failure
> (warranting
> an exception).

I'm on the fence on this. The exception is advertised right at the the
top
interface level (ConvexHull in o.a.c.m.geometry.hull package) and
clearly intended
to cover this case. An empty region could be expected from computing
the hull of n >= 3 aligned points, but n < 3 points is something
different to me.

best regards
Luc