commons-user mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [configuration] Apache Commons Configuration Version 2
Date Sat, 09 May 2015 20:07:54 GMT
You can publish an alpha or a beta and still change the API. That really isn’t locked in
until the first official GA release.

Ralph

> On May 7, 2015, at 3:44 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yes, it might cause a problem to publish an RC.
>
> Any publication to Maven Central effectively freezes the current public API.
> If a problem is then found, generally the only solution that avoids
> jar hell is to release a new version with different package name and
> different Maven coords - i.e. effectively a different product.
> This will not be a drop-in replacement, and will require source code
> changes by anyone using it.
>
> On 7 May 2015 at 03:54, DiFrango, Ronald (CONT)
> <Ronald.DiFrango@capitalone.com> wrote:
>> Yeah, I would prefer to avoid the snap-shot repo, so if nothing else I'll build a
version locally and upload it to our local Nexus.

>> One question, if this is close, would it hurt to pulish an "RC" into Maven Central?

the time-table.  We definitely like the feature set of 2.x as it supports many of the uses
cases more naturally than 1.x so would like to move forward with it.

 I'm using Gradle and pointing to an internal Nexus repo that is a proxy for Maven central
and I can't resolve it as follows:

a public Maven repository. We did this by intension to avoid potential jar hell if there are
still binary incompatible changes before the final release.

is currently pretty limited. So I cannot predict a release schedule.

to Capital One and/or its affiliates. The information transmitted herewith is intended only
for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed.  If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination,
distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the
sender and delete the material from your computer.